Saturday, June 11, 2016

Idea Napkin No.1

1) You. 
Who you are. What your talents are. What your skills and experiences are. Also: what are your aspirations? Specifically regarding your business concept, how do you see this business (if you were to start it) playing a role in your life?

-I am Christian Ellis, a mid semester Junior at UF CALS and in the Florida National Guard Artillery.

-My talents are working under pressure, maintaining a proper work and living environment, creating and enforcing rules, standards, regulations, finding key flaws and failures in economics and daily processes in an analytical sense.

-I am unsure what my aspirations are quite yet, however I do want to continue to serve our country while I am young and able bodied. Afterwards, I believe my role will fall along the lines of product quality management, security contracting, politics, or economics.

-My business concept is merely a concept. It doesn't really relate to my specific skills very much and I have no experience or knowledge on civil engineering or road/electrical construction.
2) What are you offering to customers? Describe the product or service (in other words, how you'll solve customers' unmet needs).

-My current product offers a solution to frustrating traffic problems in small towns and developing metropolitan areas via consulting, engineering, and construction.
3) Who are you offering it to? Describe, in as much detail as possible, the demographic and psychographic characteristics of your customers. Think especially of this question: what do your customers all have in common?

-All of my customers share a common need: efficient roadways and are all local municipalities/ communities. At the point of contacting me, they are surely frusterated and have exhausted all means.

4) Why do they care? Your solution is only valuable insofar as customers believe its valuable to them. Here, explain why customers will actually pay you money to use your product or service.

Places like Gainesville and the rest of Alachua county will be quick to contract help from my company because the citizens of the area are sick of having to pay for inefficient roadways in wasted time and fuel.

5) What are your core competencies? What sets you apart from everyone else? Also: what do you have that nobody else has?

What sets me apart from others is a vast economic and analytical sense. I am able to spot inefficiencies that are hazardous and frustrating to individuals as well as having the knowledge to anticipate the cost of my changes along with the cost of going without them in methods such as a production possibility frontier. My business strategy is always lean and mean.


I don't believe my five elements quite fit together. I think that my civil engineering and construction capabilities don't match the requirements to pull a company like this off. I would have no idea where to start with recruiting engineers and construction workers etc. At first I might make a small team of engineers and sub-contract construction companies until I can build my own to work alongside them and eventually take over the whole process. Getting customers at the beginning as well as capital and employees will be the toughest part, however after five or so years of development, it could make a good accounting profit and possibility an economic profit as well.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Christian,

    You seem to be aware on the many unknowns going into such a process of a service you are going to provide. Somethings of course are going to be dealing with laws and permits to be able to make any moves which I would recommend also having on board a lawyer to help know the terms and system with everything you will have to face. Keep doing research and try to find all the little details to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christian, I like that you are very clear with what your strengths are and you know how they can apply to this type of service. It seems to me that the skills you are bringing to this service will be extremely beneficial. I think it would be helpful also if you continue to look into the details of your plan. More information would definitely help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christian. Contrary to what you wrote in the last paragraph, I think that your five elements have a respect for each other and that they can work well for your product/service. You should see your competencies for the resources that you are. No knowledge of recruiting or economics can provide the same foundation; all of that can be learned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christian, wherever there are humans, roadways will definitely be in need. I think that if anyone could accomplish this, an experienced person such as yourself could easily take on the task. While your civil engineering and construction capabilities might not exactly match this business with every aspect, it definitely will help having an engineering background as you seek out this venture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christian, it's great to see what you want to accomplish. I think all five elements combine better than you realize and I think this could be very successful. Just remember to use every resource you have to your disposal and to remember to keep working through all pressure.

    ReplyDelete