Saturday, June 11, 2016

Reading Reflection No.1

1) You read about an entrepreneur: Andrew Carnegie
  • What surprised me the most about his life was how a man who came from almost absolutely nothing eventually used his natural smarts, intuition, and strategic prowess to overcome so many obstacles and challenges to end up as the richest man in the world (at the time) and only working 3 hours a day. This is also what I most desire about the shrewd, cutthroat individual known as Carnegie.
  • What I didn't really admire about him was how dirty and ruthless many of his strategies for economic dominance were. They ended up hurting a lot of people in the end
  • Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it?
2) Some of the biggest talents that I observed from this entrepreneur were negotiation prowess, trend capitalization, and hard ball "take no prisoners" strategy that allowed him to quickly create a massive steel monopoly.
3) One thing that confused me about Carnegie was how he would be unnecessarily brutal and ruthless in his business practices in order to prove a point and further secure his metaphorical throne.
4) If I were able to ask two questions Andrew Carnegie and why?
-How would you capitalize on the current market & its trends starting from the bottom again? So I can use some of his strategy and insight for the future.
- If he could give me the secret to time traveling because that's obviously the only way I'd be able to talk to him.
5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?
He frowned upon doing unnecessary hard work and saw personal disdain for doing hard labor however, he also recognized how important it was to his empire and worked hard (mentally) in short bursts.
I do not exactly share these opinions although I understand where he is coming from and would probably be the same way in his shoes. I take pride in the hard work that I currently do and the lessons it teaches me.

No comments:

Post a Comment