Saturday, June 18, 2016

Halfway Reflection

For this exercise, I'd like you reflect on the past two months. In your blog post for this exercise, pretend that you're talking to a student from next semester's course. What would you tell them?
1) Tenaciousness is a competency. What are the behaviors that you have used (or developed) to keep up with the requirements of this course? 
Tenaciousness as a competency: I believe the most useful trait for this class is being able to analyze and look at things from a third person point of view. Specialize in looking for problems and researching solutions as well as social skills as you will need to be able to meet and interview tons of strangers for extended periods of time so get comfortable with talking, asking specific questions, and keeping someone's attention.
2) Tenaciousness is also about attitude. Talk about a moment or two when you felt like "giving up." What pulled you through? Do you feel like you've developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months? What experience or experiences most contributed to this?
Tenaciousness as an attitude: I feel a little bit more tenacious as I approach the halfway point however up until now, I realized that I wavered in tenacity and commitment to the class and its workload which I definitely need to improve upon. I believe the biggest contributing factor to it is a loss of focus due to sudden financial hardship experienced about 2 weeks through the course that took all of my attention away from accomplishing my work.
3) Three tips. What are three tips you would offer next semester's student about (1) fostering the skills that support tenacity and (2) developing the 'tenacious mindset' ?
3 Tips:
1) Work on being direct, friendly and to the point while keeping people's interest peaked.
2) Get used to an extensive workload ie: it is a 4 cr/hr class but you'll end up doing about 10 hours of work and lectures weekly
3) Think of your idea as your baby and do anything to keep it alive and thriving.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ellis. I think you've got some interesting tips of advice in your reflection. I agree that being direct and friendly helps tremendously for interviews; it's allowed me to pull more information from my customers. I think I understand the baby concept! You never want to feel like your baby isn't good enough. You want it to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made some really great points in your pieces of advice. I think that a lot of times it is hard to keep focus on work especially because of life's different stresses. I agree also with how this class is very good at teaching us how to see the full picture and really understand how to ask questions and keep interest. Great job so far!

    ReplyDelete